Thursday, May 22, 2008

Oh what a day...

Today, one of my best friends since 2nd grade, Meags, joined me for a trip into Boston to meet up with one of my friends from Syracuse. We visited the Sam Adams Brewery-- which was great (and definitely worth the trip for anybody thinking about it)! We ate at Giorgio, an italian restaurant in the North End with INCREDIBLE portion sizes. We walked around and just enjoyed the beautiful weather.

It really was a great day... until Meags and I decided to take the 6:10 p.m. train home but then walked the wrong way to South Station, ended up having to take the subway to SS, and then join in the mass amount of commuters RUNNING from the subway to the commuter train. Neither of us were wearing the best running attire and we were at the back of the pack trying to jump on the 6:10 commuter rail. As anybody that has ever seen me weave to the front of the bar when Chucks or Faegans is packed knows, I'm pretty good at managing a crowd. However, I'm not too good at sprinting up a few flights of stairs in leather sandals then doing the 200 yard dash. As we hit the final stretch of the platform, the train had its lights on and the final people were hopping abroad as Meags, myself, and 2 other random sprinters reached the last train car's door. Meags jumped on, and then the conductor stood in front of the door, closed it halfway and yelled out "Sorry!" to me and the 2 randos as she finished closing the door and the train sped away.

So there I stood on the train platform as I watched Meags look out the window in the back of the train and get smaller and smaller.

REALLY? Did that REALLY just happen?

Meags made it onto the train. But, I had our tickets in my purse, and the keys to my car that was parked at the train station back home. REALLY? She got on the train and the doors shut in front of me? It seemed like it was out of a movie and I felt like it hadn't actually happened as I turned around to go wait inside for the next departing train...

Retrospect? Hysterical.

I sometimes forget to take advantages of the things that are all around me every day. For example, the fact that I live so close to Boston. And the fact that it is SO simple to travel there. That is, if you make the train...

No comments: