Monday, May 19, 2008

The more things change, the more things stay the same.


So I’ve come to realize that I’ve been using this blog to do a lot of reflecting on different stages of my life. A while back I posted on “a year ago this day I was…” then I answered the survey question describing what my life was like 10 years ago. Well, I’m reminiscing again, this time, in lieu of COLLEGE graduation I am going back four years to life at the time of high school graduation. It shocks me at how much I have changed, what I’ve experienced, and how different my life is from June 8, 2004 when I walked across the football field at Tucker and accepted my diploma.

For starters, when I graduated high school my parents were still what I thought was “happily” married… but married none the less. I had known all of my best friends since elementary school and all called RI home. I’d never been away from my family for over a week. The only time I’d traveled out of the country was on an 8th grade class trip to Quebec. I was so inexperienced with boys that even kissing terrified me. I’d never pulled an all nighter. I would fret and worry about what people thought of me. And I had no idea what I wanted to major in or do with my life.

Now, my parents are divorced and my dad is remarried to another woman. Now I have best friends from all over the country and the world. I’ve gone months without seeing my mom or even being in the same time zone so as to talk easily. However, my family and friends are more important than ever before. I’ve lived in a non-English speaking country for four months and traveled all throughout Europe to places with different cultures and customs. I admit I still get nervous around guys I like but I know a thing or two more nowadays. I know how to get by with barely any sleep. I live life to my own standards. And I have an amazing job and direction/focus about where I want to go with the rest of my life.

However, some things are still the same… I still am the photographer of my group of friends and take more pictures than anybody else. I still have friends in every different group and making new friends but keeping the old (one is silver and the other’s gold). I’m still best friends with the crew I’d known since elementary school. I still have the same 92 Honda Accord. I still struggle with my weight and my appearance. I still love the water, teaching swim lessons, and being with little kids. I still LOVE to talk and tell stories. And I still look stupid in those weird graduation caps.

No comments: