Monday, April 7, 2008

A year ago this day...


With the recent breakthrough in my life of receiving a job offer (which I am still giddy about), I have decided to use this as a starting point to break some of the bad habits in my life. Today’s contribution to that was to be more active, so I enjoyed the sunny weather and went for a jog. As I’ve written earlier, another bad habit is my tendency to skip the step of proofreading in my own writing; I think this inclination stemmed from the little rule I have with my journals that I call my “no reading after the words are written” policy (which is rather self explanatory).

While my friends from abroad were here, we spent a lot of time recalling old stories from our travels to Switzerland, Greece, the Netherlands, and throughout Italy. Remembering that I was an avid journal-keeper throughout the months we lived in Europe, I was asked to look through my beautiful, leather-bound notebooks to find some forgotten memories.

At first, I was unsure, but then realized that this was the perfect opportunity to start to break apart my proofreading flaws by attacking its root. It was this ritual that I was scared to break, reading aloud to my friends wasn't an issue. There is just something about the fact I got to know these girls while taking the biggest risk in my life and moving across the world alone, that allows me to show them and share with them every aspect of myself. Plus, part of the reason that I don’t go back to read my Europe journals specifically is because I get scared that I will be heartbroken at the fact that I am not there and having those experiences right now. However, this past Sunday morning with the sun streaming through my windows, my best friends that I hadn’t seen in months all cuddled up with me on my bed, and my high of getting a job offer still sky high- I knew it was safe.

April 7, 2007, 9:52 a.m.

I have lived an amazing life. The past few days have been a dream where I am still in awe of what my life has turned into. I am JUST beginning to come to terms with the fact that I live in Florence, ITALY and am just beginning to take advantage of what that really means.

I am currently on a train speeding through the Italian countryside to a place called Gragnola to meet people I’ve never really heard of, nonetheless know. Grampy’s cousins and their children live here and I am going to meet them—yet I have no idea what to expect.

No idea.


No comments: