Sunday, April 13, 2008

Being grown up isn't half as fun as growing up


It’s funny when you can feel yourself grow up. When all of a sudden your actions and the way you feel remind you of someone you want to be and not the person you are… and then maybe you realize that you are a little closer to becoming that person than you realized.

What does it mean to be “grown up”? Is it something identifiable? Is it something that others can notice or is it something that only YOU can define?

I believe that it is something that you define personally. Everybody has their own definition and it could be based on actions. Actions that signify being a grown up could mean being able to pay your own rent, wake up early on the weekends, and being productive with your time instead of getting drunk or watching TV. It could also be based on milestones such as graduating from college, getting your first job, or having your first serious, committed relationship.

I’m not sure how I feel about being “grown up” or whether or not I’m there yet. I’d say it has to do with neither actions nor milestones, instead I think it has to do with emotional maturity. I don’t think I can consider myself grown up until I can deal with issues such as mistakes on my debit card, my car not starting, or being rejected by a guy without the support of my parents or a group of friends.

Yes, I’ve traveled across the world without really knowing anybody. Yes, I’m about to graduate from college and have a job lined up. Yes, I do my best to care about and think of others and their well-being in my day to day life. Yes, I bought my own car years ago, use my own money for school books, clothing, food, and any personal expenses. However, can I really be grown up if I still start crying when my flight gets delayed or I lose a favorite necklace?

1 comment:

Kate said...

The answer to this last question is overwhelmingly undeniably YES. The more you do all these things the less stressful they'll become, and even then you still might almost have a heart attack when important flights get canceled. Just keep doing what you're doing and building up that big life storybook. I don't believe there is such a thing as reaching a point of being grown-up...we're always growing, and those who try to front like they're some unique matured species are probably the least developed and most insecure of all. Kidhood forever. Love you! :0)